IDSN and the Pakistan Dalit Solidarity Network (PDSN) have submitted an alternative report to the UN Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights ahead of the June 2017 review of Pakistan. The report details serious human rights issues resulting from caste-based discrimination in Pakistan.
Please download the full report here and see the recommendations from the report below.
RECOMMENDATIONS FROM THE REPORT:
- The GoP should adopt a law prohibiting discrimination on the basis of caste and take effective and immediate measures to ensure its effective implementation to protect those discriminated against on the basis of caste, as recommended by the
- The GoP should provide information on the concrete measures taken to combat caste-based discrimination and statistical data on the persons belonging to Scheduled Castes in the next periodic reports to treaty bodies as
- The GoP should restore the 6% job quota for Scheduled Castes in government services and announce a quota in higher education so the Scheduled Castes can get quality jobs in higher positions
- GoP should launch special projects/ initiatives to raise the socio economic conditions of the Scheduled
Following the 2017 census the GoP should introduce a development package for Scheduled Caste (Dalits) according to their population in the country. This development package may include:
- Introduce special housing schemes and distribution of land among Scheduled Caste landless populations.
- Meaningful political participation of Scheduled Castes through increasing reserved seats in legislative bodies – such as senate, provincial and national assemblies,
- Restoration of a 6% job quota and reserve quotas in higher
- Special poverty reduction programmes for Scheduled Castes including living allowance and food rationing
Recommendations targeted at combating caste-based discrimination
- The GoP should endorse and make use of the draft UN Principles and Guidelines for the effective Elimination of Discrimination based on Work and Descent as a comprehensive framework to eliminate caste
- The GoP should officially recognise caste-based discrimination and take legislative and policy measures for its
- Through the National and Provincial Commission of Minorities the GoP should identify suitable policy frameworks and national programmes to prevent and tackle caste discrimination by involving the UN experts and national and international human rights institutions /experts.
Relevant UPR recommendations accepted by the GoP
- Continue its efforts for the improvement of the health system and the elimination of discrimination against women and discrimination on the basis of caste (Holy See).
- Ratify the Optional Protocol of the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (Uruguay); Pending /Not implemented
- Government should immediately ratify CEDAW optional protocol and Take deterrent measures to combat discrimination against women, girls and religious minorities and work towards eliminating poverty among those groups (Iraq);