Letters, statements, questions and responses by MEPs on Caste
- Ensuring a gender-responsive and effective Corporate Sustainability Due Diligence legislation
- Dalit rights defenders speak out on caste at the EU-NGO Forum (IDSN)
- An open letter to the Prime Minister, Minister for Women & Child Development and Minister of Social justice & empowerment | Omid Nouripour
- MEP’s ask EU to act to end the unjust blocking of IDSN’s UN accreditation (IDSN News)
- Members of European Parliament Ask India to ‘End Crackdown’ on Rights Activists (IDSN News)
- EU high-representative calls the UN NGO Committee “hostile to civil society interests, particularly … caste discrimination.” (IDSN News)
- EU High Representative asked to outline how the EU intends to support IDSN’s application for UN consultative status (IDSN News)
- MEPs: EU should cancel agreements with India until unjustly jailed human rights defenders are released (IDSN news)
- Five female anti-trafficking activists kidnapped and raped in India – EU responds (IDSN)
- EU High Representative Mogherini responds to joint MEP letter on caste discrimination 2017
Earlier examples of European Parliamentary questions referencing caste
Read the EP Parliamentary Oral Questions on Caste-based discrimination(18 September 2013), addressed to the EU Commission. The questions were read out by Eva Joly, on behalf of the Committee on Development and answered by EU Commissioner Cecilie Malmström, at the debate in the European Parliament on the 10th October 2013. Read a transcript of the answers here
Read the EP Parliamentary Questions on Caste-based discrimination in South Asia (19 June 2013), addressed to the EU Commission (Vice President/High Representative). The questions (by Fiorello Provera and Charles Tannock) specifically referred to the UN side event on Dalit women at the Human Rights Council on 4 June 2013. Read EU´s Commission´s answer here.
Read the EP Parliamentary Questions on Caste Discrimination in EU Development Policy (2012), addressed to the EU Commission (Questions by Peter van Dalen, Leonidas Donskis et al). Read the EU Commission’s answer as well as an annex with examples of EU-supported programmes and policies targeted at caste discrimination.
Read the EP Parliamentary Questions on discrimination on the grounds of caste (2012) to the EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Commission Vice-President, Catherine Ashton, and read Ms Ashton’s answer here. The questions refer to the ommission of references to caste discrimination in various documents, including the Human Rights Package and Annual Action Plan (Questions by Ria Oomen-Ruijten, Thijs Berman et al).
Read the EP Parliamentary Questions & Answer (2010) regarding Child Labour including references to caste discrimination in question 1: In its political dialogue with India, will the Commission place child labour and exploitation and poor treatment of Dalits and Adivasis on the agenda? Question by Peter van Dalen (ECR)