The International Dalit Solidarity Network – IDSN – works on a global level for the elimination of caste discrimination and similar forms of discrimination based on work and descent.
We link grassroot priorities with international mechanisms and institutions in order to change policies and practices that lead to caste discrimination.
Through engagement with the UN, EU and other multilateral institutions, IDSN has had a significant impact on the internationalisation of caste discrimination as a critical human rights issue. The network produces crucial input in the form of documentation, strategic interventions and lobby action and also supports lobby activities on a national level.
Our objectives include:
- Advocating for Dalit rights by influencing the policies and practices of governments and international bodies and institutions;
- Monitoring the enforcement and implementation of measures aimed at combating caste discrimination;
- Working towards global recognition of Dalit Human Rights and contributing to the fight against caste discrimination globally by raising awareness and building solidarity;
- Facilitating Dalit rights interventions internationally, including before the European Commission and European Parliament, UN human rights mechanisms, the International Labour Organisation (ILO), and other forums;
- Creating and maintaining a resource base that facilitates and strengthens solidarity and representative functions especially at the UN, ILO and other related multilateral bodies, and international financial institutions (such as the World Bank and the Asian Development Bank)
We support the recognition of caste discrimination as a serious human rights problem and encourage states to ensure the promotion and protection of human rights of Dalits and other caste affected groups.
Engaging with the European Union institutions – the Council, Commission and Parliament – we call on the EU and its member states to make sure its own policies and its relations with caste affected countries are contributing towards diminishing caste discrimination.
We provide international support for the work of national advocacy platforms as they promote Dalit rights and call their on governments to live up to their obligations under national and international law.
We mobilise policy makers, civil society activists, journalists, researchers and other people of conscience all over the world to join us in the struggle against caste discrimination.