As part of its UN advocacy, IDSN co-sponsors and participates in UN parallel events on the issue of caste discrimination in association with its ECOSOC-accredited associates and national members. A list of international associates and members can be found here.
- 2019 #NoCasteLeftBehind Caste and Gender Justice – UN side-event at the 41st session of the UN Human Rights Council – June 2019 – supported by IDSN
- 2019 Women Human Rights Defenders, side-event organised by the Right Livelihood Award (RLA) at the 40th session of the UN Human Rights Council – March 2019, supported by IDSN.
- 2018 – #Dalitwomenfight against caste-based violence – UN side-event at the 38th Session of the UN Human Rights Council – June 2018 – supported by IDSN
- 2017 – CIVICUS side event at the 34th session of the Human Rights Council on “Backsliding on Civic Space in Democracies” on 3 March – supported by IDSN.
- 2016 – participation and report from OHCHR side-event ‘Minorities and caste-based discrimination’ – at the 31st Session of the UN Human Rights Council on 16 March.
- 2015 – Side event on “Caste- and gender-based forced and bonded labour: The role of the UN in combatting the intersection of caste and gender in the area of forced and bonded labour was held on June 18, 2015 from 17.00-18.30, Palais Des Nations, Room XXV at the 29th session of the Human Rights Council. Download the invitation flyer for the event. Read the report from the side-event and view the video statement of the UN Special Rapporteur on Contemporary forms of Slavery, presented at the side-event.
- 2014 – Side event on ”Caste-based Violence against Women: The role of the UN in combatting caste-based violence and discrimination” was held on June 17th from 13.00-15.00, at the 26th session of the Human Rights Council. Download the Invitation flyer and the leaflet Dalit women fight!.Read the IDSN’s joint press release and report from the side-event. Download the IDSN recommendations to the UN on caste-based discrimination and violence against women
- 2013 – Side event on “Dalit women: Working together towards the elimination of multiple and intersecting forms of discrimination and violence based on gender and caste” was held on June 4th from 14:30 – 16:30, at the 23rd session of the Human Rights Council. Download the programme, read IDSN´s joint press release, and download the report from the side event
- 2013 – Side event on “Ensuring access to justice for Dalits: Good practices and key challenges” held on 25 February at the 22nd session of the Human Rights Council. Download the flyer and read IDSN’s news story about this event.
- 2012 – UPR Debate on recommendations received by Pakistan held on 31 October at the 14th UPR session. Download the flyer and read more about outcome of the UPR of Pakistan here
- 2012 – Side event on “Stigma, untouchability and caste discrimination” held on 12 September at the 21st session of the Human Rights Council. Read IDSN press release
- 2012 – Information Meeting on the outcomes of the Universal Periodic Reviews of India and the UK held on 25 May at the 13th UPR session. Read the programme
- 2012 – Side event on “Dalit human rights defenders in South Asia” held on 8 March 2012 at the 19th session of the Human Rights Council. Read IDSN press statement
- 2011 – Side event on “Discrimination based on work and descent: Implementing human right standards for all” held on 16 March 2011 at the 16th session of the Human Rights Council. Read IDSN press statement
- 2009 – Side event on the “Draft UN Principles and Guidelines – a comprehensive framework to eliminate discrimination based on work and descent” held on 16 September 2009 at the 12th session of the Human Rights Council. Read more here
- 2008 – Side event “Unfinished business for the HRCAC: Adoption of Draft Principles and Guidelines for the Effective Elimination of Discrimination Based on Work and Descent?” held on 12th March 2008 the occasion at the 7th session of the Human Rights Council. Read the programme
IDSN also supported a number of Dalit solidarity events held in connection with the Durban Review Conference in April 2009. Read more here
IDSN’s recommendations to the Human Rights Council