UNIVERSAL PERIODIC REVIEW
Sri Lanka was reviewed by the UPR working group at the 2nd UPR session in April 2008. During the interactive dialogue, the delegation was asked what the Government had done to combat caste-based discrimination. Unfortunately, the delegation did not respond to this question in the debate.
- Download the UPR report on caste discrimination in Sri Lanka submitted by IDSN in association with the Human Development Organisation (HDO) and IMADR Asia Committee in Sri Lanka
- Read the report of the UPR working group
Sri Lanka is going to be reviewed by the UPR working group at the 14th UPR session in 2012.
UN TREATY BODIES
The issue of caste discrimination in Sri Lanka has rarely been addressed by UN treaty bodies, partly because the State Party has not submitted its reports in due time.
- Download compilation of UN treaty body observations on caste discrimination
- See a list of UN treaty body observations of other caste-affected countries
UN SPECIAL PROCEDURES
Several UN Special Rapporteurs have requested a country visit to Sri Lanka, but are still awaiting an invitation by the government.
- See status of requests for country visits (OHCHR website)
- Read more about the UN Special Procedures and caste discrimination
- How to submit a complaint to UN Special Procedures