The European Parliament (EP) includes text on caste discrimination in the resolution adopted on the Annual Report on Human Rights and Democracy in the World 2011 and the European Union’s policy on the matter.
The resolution, which was adopted on 13 December, includes the strongest text on caste discrimination till date on the topic in an EP resolution on the annual human rights report.
The motion for the EP resolution (2012/2145(INI)) includes, among other things, the following references:
– having regard to the draft UN Principles and Guidelines on effective elimination of discrimination based on Work and Descent published by the Human Rights Council (A/HRC/11/CRP.3),
– having regard to observations and recommendations on caste discrimination by the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, UN Treaty Bodies and UN Special Procedures, noting in particular the Report of the Special Rapporteur on contemporary forms of racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance of 24 May 2011 (A/HRC/17/40),
110. Condemns the continued human rights violations committed against people suffering from caste-based discrimination, including the denial of equality and access to justice, continued segregation and caste-induced barriers to the achievement of basic human rights; requests the Council, the EEAS and the Commission to take joint action on caste-based discrimination, including in EU human rights communications, frameworks and country-based strategies and dialogues, wherever appropriate, and to promote the draft UN Principles and Guidelines for the elimination of discrimination based on Work and Descent as a guiding framework to eliminate caste discrimination, and work for their endorsement by the UN Human Rights Council;
111. Requests the VP/HR and the Special Representative for Human Rights to give full recognition to caste discrimination as a cross-cutting issue of human rights and poverty with severe implications, in particular for women.
In line with the specific call for action by the EU institutions and member states, IDSN recommends the EU to develop and adopt a policy for combatting caste-based discrimination.
- Full text of the motion for an EP resolution text (2012/2145(INI)
- Briefing on caste discrimination and the EU
- Summary of EU initiatives on caste discrimination
- Draft UN Principles and Guidelines for the elimination of discrimination based on work and descent