UNIVERSAL PERIODIC REVIEW
India was first reviewed by the UPR mechanism of the Human Rights Council in 2008, and for the second time in May 2012. Caste discrimination figured prominently in both reviews.
UN TREATY BODIES
The issue of caste discrimination in India has been addressed by several UN treaty bodies, including the Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (1996, 2000 and 2007), the Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (2008), the Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women (2000, 2007), and the Committee on the Rights of the Child (2000, 2004).
- See a list of reports and observations by UN treaty body committees in relation to caste discrimination in India
UN SPECIAL PROCEDURES
- Read about UN Special Rapporteurs’ visits to India (of particular relevance)
- See status of requests for country visits (OHCHR website)
- How to submit a complaint to UN Special Procedures
- Read more about the UN Special Procedures and caste discrimination