UNIVERSAL PERIODIC REVIEW
Bangladesh was reviewed by the UPR working group at the 4th UPR session in February 2009.
Bangladesh is up for its second review of the UPR mechanism in 2013.
UN TREATY BODIES
The issue of caste discrimination in Bangladesh has not been addressed extensively by UN treaty bodies, but in 2011, the Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) voiced concern at the lack of information and statistics on Dalit women. In 2009 the Committee on the Rights of the Child (CRC) made some interesting observations. CERD also made some preliminary comments on the basis of its review in 2001.
- Download UN treaty body recommendations on Bangladesh
- See a list of UN treaty body reviews by other caste-affected countries
UN SPECIAL PROCEDURES
The Independent Expert on water and sanitation and the Independent Expert on human rights and extreme poverty visited Bangladesh in December 2009. Their report was presented to the 15th session of the Human Rights Council in September 2010 and contained some important references to caste discrimination. Read more here
- See status of requests for country visits (OHCHR website)
- Read more about the UN Special Procedures and caste discrimination
- More information about country visits by UN Special Procedures